Cochrane Library (H)
- Access the Cochrane Library
- Brief description Systematic reviews of health interventions
- Resource type References and abstracts, Trials and reviews
- Accessibility Statement
The Cochrane library is free to all UK users. The sign in is only for personal registration (don't use the Institutional option) used to create a folder to "follow" reviews and save searches.
If you are studying outside the UK you will still have access as long as you have logged into our sytems and followed links from OneSearch etc. Alternatively you can access Cochrane using this link https://cumbria.idm.oclc.org/login?url=https://www.cochranelibrary.com/
Reviews of evidence based research in healthcare treatments or interventions.
Use to find the most effective, proven treatments for a specific condition NOT for current research or general topics.
Over 544,000 in 7 databases:
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects
- Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials
- Cochrane Database of Methodology Reviews
- Cochrane Methodology Register
- Health Technology Assessment Database
- NHS Economic Evaluation Database.
Personal registration provides a “save search” function and “search history”. Browse by topic,
MeSH search, Advanced search limits by specific database, status (e.g. new) and date Export results feature. There is an add/view feedback option on the left hand menu of the Cochrane Review and Methodology.
Review Figures/table option in the Cochrane Reviews provides an odds-ratio diagram for the research.
The “Plain English” summary and “Authors conclusions” are useful for an overview of the results.
Uses Boolean AND OR NOT NEAR NEXT
* wildcard and truncation
“” exact phrases
() for grouping
Automatically matches for plurals. Use “search history” to combine a free text search with a MeSH search to make sure that you have collected all possible results.