- Subject Health and Social Care
- Access the Cochrane Library
- Brief description Systematic reviews of health interventions
- Resource type References and abstracts, Trials and reviews
- Walk-in access Walk-in access not available
- Select the Sign-in option in top right hand cornor.
- Select "Institution Login"
- Search for and select "University of Cumbria"
- Log in using your university email address and password
Reviews of evidence based research in healthcare treatments or interventions.
Use to find the most effective, proven treatments for a specific condition NOT for current research or general topics.
Over 544,000 in 7 databases:
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects
- Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials
- Cochrane Database of Methodology Reviews
- Cochrane Methodology Register
- Health Technology Assessment Database
- NHS Economic Evaluation Database.
Personal registration provides a “save search” function and “search history”. Browse by topic,
MeSH search, Advanced search limits by specific database, status (e.g. new) and date Export results feature. There is an add/view feedback option on the left hand menu of the Cochrane Review and Methodology.
Review Figures/table option in the Cochrane Reviews provides an odds-ratio diagram for the research.
The “Plain English” summary and “Authors conclusions” are useful for an overview of the results.
Uses Boolean AND OR NOT NEAR NEXT
* wildcard and truncation
“” exact phrases
() for grouping
Automatically matches for plurals. Use “search history” to combine a free text search with a MeSH search to make sure that you have collected all possible results.