Head Start is an online course that helps you to transition to life at university. It is intended for students preparing for study at either Level 3 or Level 4 (year 0 or year 1) at the University of Cumbria, and is also open to anyone who is new to studying at university.
The course is split into 7 units:
- Your Journey - Welcome to higher education
- Your Hopes & Fears - Reassurances for how you might feel about starting Uni
- Your Learning - Understand ways of learning that might help you
- Your Research Skills - Finding and evaluating quality information for assignments
- Your Writing - Writing for higher education
- Your Referencing - Crediting original authors for the evidence you cite
- Your Digital Skills - Introduction to the basics of working with computers at university
These are supplemented by two short self-evaluation surveys and supporting resources.
At the end of Head Start you will have 7 Digital Badges and be presented with a Certificate of Completion that you can download/print as evidence that you have completed the course.
See below for instructions on how to access the course.