IWB Safety Tips
- Ensure that the area around the IWB is clear of furniture, bags and other potential trip hazards.
- Don't look directly into the projector bulb.
- Ensure all cables are out of student's reach and do not present a tripping hazard.
- Minimise time spend standing in front of the beam.
- Encourage Students at the board to keep their back to the projector beam.
- Supervise students closely while they are at the board and encourage correct practices.
- Arrange the software so that smaller students can interact easily with what is on screen. Don't use chairs or stools to reach the top of the board.
- Add health and safety notices to the classroom near to the board outlining good practices.
The Health and Safety Executive provides this advice: www.hse.gov.uk/radiation/nonionising/whiteboards.htm
The Promethean Planet website is a fantastic resource for training and keeping up with the latest ideas. You will be required to create a free account before you can access a number of the Promethean resources outlined on this page.
The main piece of software that you will use, when working with a Promethean Board, is ActivInspire. ActivInspire allows you to create interactive resources and presentations, capture the visible screen, create quizzes, embed images, include video or audio and a lot more. Before you start to use ActivInspire, it is highly recommended that you view the following ActivInspire video tutorials to help you get started as quickly as possible:
- ActivInspire Primary - Video tutorials for Primary teachers
- ActivInspire Studio - Video tutorials for Secondary teachers
Download ActivInspire (for your own computer/laptop)
Download and Install ActivInspire (PDF Guide)
Promethean Training and Resources
Promethean Planet Resources offer Free Resources such as teacher made flipcharts, pictures, sounds and backgrounds for you to download and use in your flipcharts.
Promethean Studio Guides:
- Getting started with Promethean Studio
- The Promethean dashboard and navigation
- The main toolbox and profiles
- Object Properties
- Page browser
- Desktop tools
- Action browser
- Object browser
- Property browser
- Working with files
The Library holds a number of useful publications with best practice and ideas for using interactive whiteboards. Search the library catalogue using the key words "interactive whiteboard" and/or "lesson plan".