University of Cumbria laptops
Our university laptops can access wireless wherever it is offered on any university site and will automatically connect to the internet.
Students need their Network username and password to log on. Any university laptop used over wireless provides full access to the systems and services that you are authorised to use.
Bringing your own devices
You can use your own devices for example, smartphone, tablet or laptop, to work wirelessly. You will need to use your Network username and password to log on. Wireless access is limited to web based services, such as Webmail and Blackboard.
Connecting to Wifi
Connecting to wifi, on your own device, is very simple. Ensure that wifi is switched on, on your own device, and open a browser window. You will receive a prompt to login to the University network.
You may need to choose a network for your connection:
- UoC-Member - Students can connect using network username and password
- Eduroam - This is the preferred network, but you need to setup your device using the instructions here: Eduroam
- You can access almost anything that is on the web, such as the StudentHub, Webmail and Blackboard. Some websites and services are restricted because they present either inappropriate content or are flagged as containing malicious code.
- You cannot use peer-to-peer networks.
- You cannot use gaming or streaming services that rely on peer-to-peer connections.
- You cannot download or access university software.
- You cannot print directly from your device to university printers - see Wireless Printing for more information.