my-cumbria-logo, my-cumbria-logo Toggle navigation

The information on this page is for undergraduate and postgraduate taught students.

Postgraduate research students should consult the Research Student pages. Apprentices should first discuss any plans with their employer to ensure any changes fall within their employment contract. International students on Tier 4 Visa students should speak to our International Advisers in advance of making any decision.

Thinking of taking a break, transferring or withdrawing?

We understand that it can take time to settle in to your course and university life, and there may be times when studying becomes difficult due to your personal circumstances, the subject you are studying, the level of study or your assessments.

The University offers a range of support options and the first thing to do is talk to us so we so we can discuss what options are available and what might be most appropriate for your circumstances. These options may include ways to help you succeed on your current course (Extenuating Circumstances or specific academic support for example), a break in studies (Intercalation), a transfer to another course either within the University of Cumbria or to another institution or withdrawing from study altogether.

Changes to your programme could include:

  • changing your course of study
  • changing the location of study
  • changing your mode of attendance on course

Some changes may not be possible due to professional body or other external regulations, for example Apprenticeships, international students and some Continued Professional Development students, so it is always best to talk to us first so we can advise what is available to you and any implication in respect of your specific circumstances.


  • Who to talk to?

    If you are considering taking a break from your studies, changing course or leaving the university there are a number of people who you can talk to about your decision and options. These include:

    We strongly advise that you contact a Money Adviser to find out how any potential break in studies (intercalation), transfer or withdrawal would affect any funding and fee liability and any contracts you may have with accommodation providers.

    Please remember that non-attendance does not count as notice of your plans to take a break in your students or leave the University. It is important that you keep in touch with staff on your current course, even if you think you want to take a break, transfer or leave your course. Your attendance can affect your student finance, fees, assessment outcomes and qualifications, all of which could be important for your next steps.

  • Intercalation (taking a break from your studies)


    Intercalation is a way of formally taking time away from your course/suspending your studies.  Intercalation will be considered for medical reasons or for other circumstances, which prevent you from engaging with your course or programme for a temporary, but extended, period of time.  Intercalation may also be approved to enable you to take advantage of related opportunities appropriate to your programme.

    Intercalation is normally for a period of up to one academic year, which enables you to return to your course at the equivalent point you left, allowing you to continue your studies. Intercalation does not allow any repeat study and may not be possible in all cases so it is essential that if you are considering intercalation you speak to someone as soon as possible whilst you are still attending.

    If intercalation if the best option for you, having discussed your circumstances with your Personal Tutor, Course/ Programme Leader or another member of University staff, please contact your Programme Administration office and complete the Intercalation Form. After submission, Programme Administration will confirm to you the outcome of your request, usually by email.

    IMPORTANT: You have not intercalated from your programme unless you have completed all the documentation and have received confirmation from your Programme Administration Office.

    Returning to study following a period of Intercalation

    You will be contacted by your Programme Administration Office approximately 8 weeks before you are due to return and asked to confirm your intention to return to your course.

    If you are on a professional course, prior to your return you may also be required to complete a medical, a Disclosure and Barring Service clearance (formerly CRB) and any other clearances, which are required at the point of your return. Please be aware that you may be required to pay for such clearances.

    Student Support have produced some helpful FAQs for students returning from Intercalation.

  • Changing Mode of Attendance

    Most courses are validated for a specific mode(s) of attendance only and it is not always possible to attend a full time course on a part time basis, or vice versa. 

    If you are registered on a course that supports both modes of attendance, you may be able to change, if your circumstances change and require you to study less or enable you to study more.

    You need to complete a Transfer Form, which is available from your Programme Administration office. You will also need to speak to a Money Adviser and our Finance team to discuss the potential financial implications that might arise because of changing your mode of attendance.

  • Transferring Course

    Sometimes students who have registered on a particular programme decide that they wish to change programme as their original choice does not suit their requirements.

    Transfers can be:

    • Between programmes within the University of Cumbria
    • From the University of Cumbria to a programme at a different University or College
    • From a different University or College to a programme at the University of Cumbria

     There are a number of factors which can impact upon course transfers, these include:

    • If there are any shared areas of study between the courses
    • If you are able to use an credits you have gained from any modules previously completed – Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL or APEL)
    • The period of the academic year when you would like to transfer
    • If you have completed/passed modules
    • Whether there is the agreement of the Course or Programme Leader and/or funding body for the course which you would like to transfer to
    • Whether there are places available on the course you wish to transfer to
    • Whether you meet the entry requirements for the course you wish to transfer to
    • The admissions process at the University which you wish to transfer to
    • When and which courses are available at the University which you wish to transfer to
    • If you are able to obtain satisfactory clearances (these may be medical or DBS) for the course you wish to transfer to.

    Transferring between Programmes within the University of Cumbria

    Speak to your current and potential future Programme leaders to discuss:

    • what is possible
    • when you can transfer
    • whether you can take any credit with you
    • if you need to do any extra study to allow you to join the new programme
    • which modules you need to complete successfully prior to any move
    • if the move will be direct:
      • from semester 1 into semester 2 (where programmes have common modules) or
      • from year 1 in to year 2 or
      • is there is any gap and if so what will you do in that gap?

    Once confirmed please contact your Programme Administration office to complete a transfer form which will be signed by both programme leaders prior to your transfer being confirmed.

    Moving from the University of Cumbria to a different Institution

    We understand that sometimes students may wish to transfer to another University or College. If you are considering this, we suggest that you talk with your Personal Tutor or Course Leader who can support you.

    You will need to apply to your new institution. You may be able to apply direct or you may have to fill out another UCAS form/application form. Once you've decided to leave your current course, and made arrangements with your new institution, you will also need to withdraw from your course at the University of Cumbria (see the Withdrawals section below).

    Always check first, there is no guarantee you'll be able to switch to another course at a new institution, even if the courses are similar.  You may find that despite applying to start in the second or third year, you are asked to start in the first year. You may also be asked to complete your year if you are offered a conditional offer based on achieving a certain grade in your modules.

    Think about the whole picture – When would you start? What do you need to do about accommodation? Think back to when you applied to university before, and prepare in a similar way.

    Please ensure you have looked in to all course and financial aspects prior to transfer so that you are able to make a fully informed decision.

    Moving to the University of Cumbria from a different Institution

    You need to speak to your current Institution first, to understand and follow their transfer process.

    At any point you can speak to our Admissions team who can advise and help with the transfer process. 

    General guidance on finance when transferring

    Please always check with your funding provider, your (current) University Fees Teams and your accommodation provider prior to any transfer.  

    Student Finance England (or Scotland) will require written confirmation from the University that an internal transfer has been approved on academic grounds the day before the start of the second year of your original course. Any transfers that are not between academic years may not be funded and may jeopardise future funding, so it is essential to check in advance.

    If you are transferring to another institution, your new institution is responsible for confirming to Student Finance England (or Scotland) that your transfer has been approved on academic grounds. The University you are leaving will inform Student Finance England (or Scotland) that you have transferred to another institution if you provide them with:  

    • the name of your new institution;
    • the title of your new course and the JACS code;
    • the anticipated end date of your new course; and,
    • the tuition fee (if this available).

    It is essential that you do this to ensure that you are transferred rather than withdrawn as this could affect your fee and funding liability and your award.

    If you start again in a new academic year, you might not be entitled to loans and grants for your full course, because you have already "used up" a year of your entitlement. The amount you are entitled to might also change, for example, you receive a larger loan if you are studying in London, so if you transfer from a London university to one elsewhere, there may be funding support implications.

    Credit transfer or Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL/APEL)

    You may be able to transfer any course credits you have already gained, but if the you wish to transfer to a different course, this may not be possible, and you may need to start the new course at the very beginning that is likely to have funding implications in terms of tuition fees, accommodation, and other expenses.


    If you do decide a transfer is for you, please request a Transfer Form from your Programme Administration office.

    Please note you have not transferred between programmes unless you have completed all the documentation and have received confirmation from the Programme Administration Office.

  • Extension to Registration

    Every programme has a maximum registration period. You can find the registration period for your course in section D3 of the Academic Regulations. If you have had interruptions to study during your course and you are going to exceed the maximum registration period for your course as specified in the Academic Regulations you can request an extension to registration. 

    You firstly need to complete the Request for Extension to Registration Period form, which is available from your Programme Administration office, which needs to be authorised by your Programme Leader.

  • Withdrawal

    If having considered all your options, you feel the right course of action is to withdraw completely from study you should first discuss this with your Personal Tutor and Course and/or Programme Leader (available in My Student Details on the Student Hub), to make sure that this is the right decision for you.

    It may be that you are experiencing difficulties with one particular area of your course and that you can obtain extra help and support for this from your course team or the academic skills team. If you are experiencing financial difficulties or finding it difficult to adjust to living away from home, staff are available to provide advice and support for financial, health and wellbeing issues.

    If you do decide that you wish to withdraw from your course, please request a link to the online Withdrawal Form from your local Programme Administration office. This form will contain information on the withdrawal procedure that you need to follow to formally leave the University.

    You will also need to speak to a Money Adviser to understand the funding implications of withdrawing. Further information on the funding and fee implications of withdrawing from your course can be found in the Tuition Fee, Finance and Payments Policy. Please take the time to read through it carefully. 

    Please note you have not withdrawn from your programme unless you have completed all the documentation and have received confirmation from the Programme Administration Office.


    If you are in University accommodation, you will also need to contact the Accommodation Officer at your campus.

    If you are in private accommodation, please be aware you may have signed a contract for the whole Academic Year which is not dependent on whether you are still studying and for which you may still be liable.

    If you stay in your accommodation and you’re not a student, you will have to pay council tax.

Edit page