Information for students
Some students have disabilities and may require different levels of support during their time at university and may be entitled to a range of non-medical help as listed below.
The following will give you some idea regarding the type of support we can provide:
- Practical support in your sessions, for example, art studio / laboratory assistance.
- Accessing books in the library.
- Orientation for students who may have visual impairment.
- Text checking (proof reading assignments).
- Note taking.
- Exam reader / scribe.
- Assistance with organising your timetable and academic tasks.
- Assistance with managing your time to help you meet your deadlines.
Transcribing interviews for research assignments.
The University of Cumbria provides specialist study skills tuition for students with SpLD and disabled students. Tuition may help you with the following:
- Understanding your learning style
- Research techniques
- Understanding more about your memory
- Planning written work or presentations
- Essay writing
- Effective use of IT
- Use of colour
- Developing proofreading skills
- Critical / analytical thinking
- Mind mapping
- Time management
- Organisational skills
- Oral presentations
- Revision techniques and exam preparation
- Note making
- Referencing and bibliographies
If you have any queries regarding the support service, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org