All members of the public are welcome to use the library facilities for reference and study purposes during staffed hours.
All our books and journals are listed on our library catalogue, OneSearch. Use OneSearch to check the availability of titles before your visit.
Using the library
All printed material is available to consult in the library. If you wish to borrow items see below.
You can access a selection of our electronic resources during your visit. Find out more on this page.
You can bring your own laptop (for which you are responsible) but you will not have access to the wifi, printers or networked computers.
Can I borrow from the library?
You can join as an community borrower by paying an annual fee of £50. You will need to complete an Community borrower application form. Email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org with a passport style photograph (for your library card) with your full postal address and we will post your library card to you.
To join as a member of the Alumni Association costs £35.
You may be able to join for free if:
- you are studying at another HE institution under the Sconul Access agreement
- you are studying at an FE college in Cumbria under the CHELPS scheme
- you are a member of a NHS library under the Passport to Partnership (P2P) scheme. You will need to bring a form signed by your home institution and complete a registration form for us.
- you are a mentor, educator or assessor to University of Cumbria students.
Once you have joined:
- you will be able to borrow four items from the lending or teaching practice collections.
- you will be able to request one item from another campus.
- you will be liable for fines for overdue books and charges for lost items at the publicised rates.
- you will not be eligible for postal loans.
Here to help
If you have any questions then email email@example.com. Library staff will be able to give brief introductions to using the library and accessing its stock. We cannot however carry out in-depth queries, do literature searches or provide information skills training.