A postal loan service is available for the following groups of students:
- part time students
- students on a distance learning course
- School Direct students
- students based at Energus
Please complete a Postal Loan registration form and bring it in to the library with your payment or post it to us with a cheque payable to the University of Cumbria.
To request a postal loan:
- Look up your book on OneSearch, click on and follow the instructions, choosing 'home delivery' as your collection site
- Most books and pamphlets can be posted out but we reserve the right not to post very large or valuable items
- Books will be sent to your term time address, unless you request otherwise, and can be posted abroad. You are responsible for making sure we have the correct address
- You can return books in person to your nearest University Of Cumbria library or you can send them back in the post to Harold Bridges Library, University of Cumbria, Bowerham Road, Lancaster, LA1 3JD. If you return books in the post we recommend you use a ‘signed for’ service as it is more reliable. You are required to pay the return postage and you are responsible for the book until it is received by the University library
- Books sent by post must be returned if they are requested by another user
- Books will renew automatically if they are not requested by another borrower
- If you have a book that has been requested by another borrower and it is not returned by its due date you will incur fines of £1 per item per day
- See the Borrowing Entitlement information for details of how many books you are allowed to have on loan. You will not be allowed to exceed your limit so check how many books you already have on loan before you request a postal loan (if unsure, check your library account in OneSearch).
Open and distance learning students can request photocopies of chapters of books or journal articles. You will be charged for photocopy costs, with a minimum charge of 50p. Please complete the Open and distance learning photocopy request form.