Educational software discounts
FREE Office 365
Microsoft’s Student Advantage gives students and staff the ability to install Office on up to 5 personally owned (not university issued) PCs and Macs.
Office 365 Professional Plus is provided on a subscription basis - you can use the latest version of Office while you are registered with the university and have an active network login account.
How do I install Office 365 Professional Plus?
Office Professional Plus is provided as a download. You will require a good internet connection and will need to stay on-line until it is installed.
Use the Office 365 Quick Guide or follow the instructions below.
Sign in to Office365
Installing the software
- Once you have logged in to your email, click on the small circle in the top right corner (it might have your picture on it) and select My Account
- You may now be asked to log in again
- In the main window you will see an Install Office button, click that and follow the on screen instructions
- Some frequently asked questions have been posted and answered - see the FAQs tab above.
FREE Adobe CC Suite
Note: Offer extended to 6th July 2020.
Adobe has kindly provided free temporary at-home access for students and staff, so that they can continue their work remotely. This software is currently available to use until 6th July 2020. We will notify you here if the offer is extended.
Please follow the instructions below to enable access to Creative Cloud Desktop Apps on your personal device.
1. Visit https://creativecloud.adobe.com, enter your university email address and click "Continue".
2. If prompted, select Company or School Account and then provide your university email and password in the UoC login screen.
3. From the Creative Cloud website, select and download your desired app(s). Click All your apps at the top of the page to view all of the available apps.
For more information on how to download or install apps, see Download and Install Creative Cloud apps.
For Higher Education students to continue developing skills, Adobe offers free “Daily Creative Challenges”. These are guided projects where participants receive creative prompts and connect with pros, mentors, and other students for feedback and support. Click on the app name to learn more: Photoshop, XD and Illustrator. Also, for inspiration and over-the-shoulder learning, watch pros share their creative process on Adobe Live daily at www.behance.net/adobelive.
For faculty seeking to engage students during campus closures, Adobe has curated resources to help them discover inspiring projects, best practices, and new ideas so they can continue to drive valuable learning in virtual environments. For more information on Adobe’s distance learning resources please click here https://edex.adobe.com/distance-learning.
FREE Sophos Security
FREE Personal PC and Mac protection for all Sophos customers
Remote working means many people are using their personal computers for business purposes. To help you stay secure, all Sophos customers (the University of Cumbria is a customer) can protect their employees' (and students) personal PCs and Macs for free with Sophos Home Commercial Edition software for the duration of the current lockdown. See below for details of how to get your free copy.
How to get it:
1. Visit https://home.sophos.com/employee
2. Use your university email address to verify your eligibility and receive your unique coupon code. NOTE: Your personal email address is to be used later for registration. During registration, please ensure the accuracy of your personal email as coupon codes are single-use.
3. Follow a few simple steps to register for and download the product, extending your powerful Sophos security to your home devices.
For more information about the product and get some answers to questions you may have, please visit https://home.sophos.com/en-us/landing/commercial-use.aspx
Please be aware that when this free offering ends, you may want to remove the software from your device, or choose to subscribe for longer. The university uses Sophos and trusts it as security software.
Office 365 FAQs
What happens when I leave?
The software is deactivated when your user account is removed after you leave the university. If you wish to continue to use the software you can purchase a subscription.
I have a previous version of Office - can I keep this?
Office 365 Professional Plus will install alongside your current Office installation.
What happens if I have problems installing the software?
This offer is from Microsoft, not from the university. As a result if you have any problems installing the software on your device, you will need to contact Microsoft for support.
Does it work on all devices?
No, it doesn't work on windows PCs running XP or older, and it wont work on Macs running older than Snow Leopard. Please click here for the full compatibility list.