my-cumbria-logo, my-cumbria-logo Toggle navigation

What is a student funding provider?

Various different agencies act as providers of student funding, often acting on behalf of the government in providing access to student funding provided (or in the case of student loans underwritten) by the state. These include (but are not limited to):

Student Finance England (SFE) – The state funding provider for students from England. Student Finance England also handle the EU Tuition Fee Loan offered to students from outside the UK who are citizens of a European Union country.

Telephone: 0300 100 0607 

Student Finance England European Union Team (Republic of Ireland/EU students)

Contact the European Union Team of the Department for Education and Skills on: 0141 243 3570 or email: If you are wishing to make an application for a Tuition Fee Loan you can download an application form (EU19N) from:   

Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) – The devolved administration funding provider for students from Scotland. Telephone: 0300 555 0505

Student Finance Wales (SFW) – The devolved administration funding provider for students from Wales. Telephone: 0300 200 4050

Student Finance Northern Ireland (SFNI) – The devolved administration funding provider for students from Northern Ireland, activity is also undertaken by regional Education and Library Boards however SFNI handle applications, payment and act as a primary point of contact for students.  Telephone 0300 100 0077

The Student Loans Company – the organisation that acts as the broker of loans (for both tuition fee loan and maintenance loans) and coordinates the loan activity between individual students and student funding providers such as SFE, SAAS etc.

Students should rarely need to contact the Student Loans Company during their time at University as the application, assessment and payment of fees and maintenance (living cost) are handled by the regional organisations (SFE, SAAS etc). The Student Loans Company will become more active after graduation as they are the organisation that will collect repayments of your loans.

NHS Business Support Agency (NHSBSA) – Provides application, assessment and payment services for NHS bursaries and other NHS course specific awards, which includes Social Work bursaries. 

In addition some students may receive funding through their employer or other sponsor, if they are a non-UK student they may receive funding from their own national government or agency.

Edit page