my-cumbria-logo, my-cumbria-logo Toggle navigation

COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Updated return to campus and collect your COVID Home Test kits


Advice and guidance for staff, students and external bodies

Safeguarding (including Prevent) is everyone’s responsibility. On this page you will find the University’s Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Groups and Prevent Policy here along with details of Roles and Responsibilities in relation to safeguarding and Prevent.

You will find below, guidance on how to respond to safeguarding concerns; what to do if you receive a disclosure; what happens if you have an allegation made against you, and useful links to other University protocols including support for you. There is also useful information on definitions of abuse and signs of vulnerability and links to training.

  • Emergency, Crisis or Risk of Immediate Harm

    In the event of an emergency situation, where any person is at risk of immediate harm, you should call 999 to get an emergency services response.

    Following emergency intervention, you should report the incident to the university via one of our Safeguarding Officers (see Safeguarding contacts at the University of Cumbria on this page).

  • How to recognise a Safeguarding or Prevent concern

    Early intervention is key to avoiding a crisis. We have lots of opportunities when we interact with staff and students to spot something is not quite right or something has changed and ask ourselves – is something going on here?

    The following document outlines how to notice, check, share, record and report any concerns you or others may have in relation to a student/HLA/staff member:

    How to recognise a Safeguarding or Prevent concern

    Additional signs/considerations when considering a safeguarding concern:

    Safeguarding Definitions

    Safeguarding Some Signs of Abuse

  • Responding to and reporting a Safeguarding or Prevent concern

    How to respond to a safeguarding disclosure

    What if an external Safeguarding Agency contacts me

    The following flow chart outlines who to notify in relation to a safeguarding or Prevent concern:

    Reporting a safeguarding concern flow chart


    Contacts in relation to the flow chart above

    University of Cumbria

    See Safeguarding contacts at the University of Cumbria on this page

    Cumbria (Adults)

    Adult Safeguarding : Cumbria County Council (

    Cumbria (Children and Young Adults)

    Concerned about a child or young person? : Cumbria County Council (

    Cumbria Safeguarding Hub on 0333 240 1727

    Lancashire (Adults)

    Safeguarding adults - Lancashire County Council

    Lancashire (Children and Young Adults)

    Safeguarding children - Lancashire County Council

    Call 0300 123 6720 or out of hours 0300 123 6722

    Tower Hamlets (Adults)

    Adults at risk of abuse or neglect (

    Tower Hamlets (Children and Young Adults)

    Child protection (

    Advice and assessment team 020 7364 5601 or 020 7364 5606

  • Safeguarding Policy and Procedure (including Prevent)

    This section presents the University's Safeguarding and Prevent policy which gives links to associated guidance and protocols including how to respond to and report a Safeguarding or Prevent concern about a student or member of staff at the University of Cumbria.

    Safeguarding Policy and Procedure

    This is NOT the protocol which outlines how to deal with an emergency situation for example, where a student/staff member is declaring they are suicidal or a child or vulnerable adult is at immediate risk of harm. If there is an emergency you should deal with it as such by calling 999, then reporting to the University via a Safeguarding Officer (see Reporting Concerns and Contacts on this page).

  • Safeguarding contacts at the University of Cumbria

    If you have a concern you can speak to one of the university's trained Safeguarding Officers.

    Lead Safeguarding Officer (Strategic)

    Brian Webster-Henderson, DVC Health, Environment and Innovation 

    Lead Safeguarding Officer (Operational)

    Honor Rhodes, Head of Student Support, Student Services
    Contact:  01524 590811 or 07980731954

    Principal Safeguarding Officers (PSOs) and Designated Safeguarding Officers (DSOs):

    Steph Evans Principal Lecturer (Learning, Teaching and Student Experience)
    Role: PSO, Institute of Education
    Contact: 01524 385444

    Jayne Metcalfe Senior Lecturer
    Role: DSO, Institute of Education
    Contact: 01524 384483

    Kelly Powell Education Programmes Leader
    Role: DSO, Institute of Education
    Contact: 01524 384361

    Don Hall Senior Lecturer
    Role: PSO, Institute of Education
    Contact: 0207 517 4801

    The names of Safeguarding Officers may be added periodically. 

    Contact can be made with any of the Safeguarding Officers listed above.

    If you are unable to speak to any of the above, or you feel there is an urgency with a concern, or in emergency circumstances, you should not hesitate to contact the Police, Social Services or Children’s Services. Please update the Lead Operational Safeguarding Officer if you do contact any of these external agencies as soon as possible afterwards.   

    List current at July 2021

  • Support for you if you are impacted by a disclosure or allegation

    We recognise that dealing with safeguarding and Prevent issues can be a cause for concern for you as a staff member or student and that it can have an impact. 

    It is common to feel angry, powerless or sad. Information may trigger memories of your own experience which may cause you distress.  

    If you are a student, we have a range of support available which can be found at Health and Wellbeing which includes access to counselling, Together All, useful links to external organisations and wellbeing support resources.

    If you are a member of staff  then you should seek support via your Line Manager or HR Business Partner. We have counselling for staff and an Employee Assistance Programme. Further details can be found in the Staff Hub (see the Staff Well-being tile on the front page).  Staff can also access the useful links to external organisations.

    Students and staff

    What to do if you are accused of behaviours that fall under Safeguarding

  • Safeguarding and Prevent Annual Reports

    Safeguarding and Prevent Annual Report 2019-2020

    Safeguarding and Prevent Annual Report 2018-2019

    Safeguarding and Prevent Annual Report 2017-2018

    Safeguarding and Prevent Annual Report 2016-2017

    Safeguarding and Prevent Annual Report 2015-2016

    Safeguarding Annual Reports are held on file for seven years and any years not showing on this page may be requested by emailing the Lead Safeguarding Officer (Operational) - see Safeguarding contacts at the University of Cumbria on this page.

  • Confidentiality

    Confidentiality in relation to Safeguarding and Prevent

    The University works within the parameters of Data Protection legislation and associated statutory duties. Only those who need to know should be informed of an incident/concern.  

    The University works on the principle of informed consent except where there is a legal/statutory basis (serious risk to self/others/or to prejudicing initial and ongoing safeguarding investigations) to not seek this.


    Any concerns about confidentiality can be raised with the Lead Safeguarding Officer (Strategic) Brian Webster-Henderson 

  • Safeguarding and Prevent Training

    Staff Training: 

    All new staff should receive a basic introduction to Safeguarding and Prevent as part of their induction 

    If you are a member of staff at the University you will need to undertake mandatory online training in Safeguarding and Prevent (Inclusive, Cohesive and Safe Universities). You will find details on staff hub (link to Development Training and Skills on staff hub) 

    If you undertake additional training with e.g. external organisations or professional bodies, you should ask Human Resources to update your training record. 

    Student Training  

    Safeguarding/Prevent training for students is delivered by the Institutes in relation to their programmes.  

    Staff and students

    Tips for protecting yourself from allegations

Edit page