Peer mentoring benefits
Peer Mentoring @ Cumbria
Peer Mentoring helps the transition in to University. Peer Mentoring can benefit all involved; we have detailed some of the benefits below and have included some participant feedback.
Benefits to participants
- Peer Mentoring helps students settle into university life and study quickly and effectively
- It facilitates learning though guidance from higher year students who can appreciate issues faced by new students
- It is a safe place to test learning and to say ‘I don’t get it’
- It contributes to the development of communication, teamwork, collaborative and problem-solving skills
- It offers the benefits of making new friends in a small group environment and across year groups
- Importantly, it is informal, friendly and hopefully fun as well
Benefits to Peer Mentors
Peer Mentors told us that…
"I have never been in a situation where we have been given such autonomy and leadership responsibility."
"The Peer Mentoring scheme at the university has helped me realise that I want to pursue a career in learning support. The enjoyment I get from helping students maximise their learning potential during university has made me want to continue to help others in a working environment."
Our Peer Mentors have said they've seen an increase in their:
- Leadership skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Project Management skills
- Organisational skills
- Communication skills
- Understanding of the support resources available
Further details to follow shortly... watch this space!
Email email@example.com and we can respond to enquiries.