my-cumbria-logo, my-cumbria-logo Toggle navigation

We hope you enjoy your time studying with us

Starting university is an exciting time, but you may have a lot of questions and maybe even a few worries, so we want to do everything we can to ensure you relocate smoothly into your new home. Here's a guide to the key things you'll need to do and think about.

  • Get access to university computers

    Whether for writing essays or accessing electronic journals, you’ll make extensive use of digital technology. It only takes one username and password to access all the electronic resources you need. 

    Before you arrive, you will be sent details of how to Activate your IT Account. This account will give you access to the university IT resources and systems including: 

    • the Student Hub – the single place for all students to access their systems and documents
    • our award winning Head Start Programmes – short online courses designed to prepare for HE study
    • the wireless provision to enable you to use your own devices, and much more.

    Your IT facilities Your IT Support

  • Become familiar with your library services

    The university library offers a wealth of support and resources.  Visit your university library and check out all the services available and attend a library tour. 

    Our Library service

  • Cumbria card

    You will be asked to upload a photo during online registration enabling us to create and activate your Cumbria Card before you arrive. See photo upload guide. You can collect your card from the library at your base campus. For distance learners, the card will be posted to you. If you have not received your card within a few days of starting lectures then please contact the library at your site. Click this link for more information about your card: Cumbria Card.

    This card acts as your library and photo-ID card and can be used to access a range of buildings and services such as photocopying and printing in university libraries/gateways, and open access IT spaces.

    Our Payments page has advice on topping up your print credit using the Cumbria Card.



  • Confirm you are exempt from paying council tax

    Currently, if you are under 18, or a full-time student over 18, you do not have to pay council tax. Once you are fully registered on a full-time course you will be emailed a council tax exemption certificate. This document should be sent or taken to the local council tax office, with your council tax bill if you have received one. 

    If you are on an apprentice programme you are not able to receive a student exception from council tax but you may be able to receive a discount as an apprentice, this is done via the council using a declaration from your employer and full details are available here :

    More information can be found on the gov website.

  • Get a TV licence if you plan to watch live TV or BBC iPlayer

    Televisions brought to site must be covered by an appropriate licence. The university television licence does not cover the use of students’ personal televisions.  

    You will need a digital TV or Freeview box/Freeview HD box. External wireless or television aerials must not be erected on university property.  

    Students watching any channels on a TV, any BBC programmes on iPlayer (live, catch up or on demand), any live TV broadcasts on streaming services or recording anything from a broadcast TV channel will need a TV Licence. 

    If you are caught without one, you may be fined £1,000.

    TV licensing information for students

  • Be aware of safety and security


    Whilst our campuses are in low crime areas, student occupied houses/residences are often targeted. Carrying out the following actions can greatly reduce the risks: 

    • Lock ALL external doors and windows when house/room is unoccupied (use window locks if fitted) even if only for a short time
    • Write your postcode on attractive or saleable items using a UV marker or an engraver. Use your home address postcode and include your house/flat number e.g. CA1 2HH 11.
    • Never put expensive items on view in windows
    • Open curtains in day time and leave a light on at night, preferably using a time switch when the flat/room is empty
    • If you don’t need a car for your course, leave it at home
    • Carry your bank cards with you at all times
    • Report crime or vandalism to the police and also to your landlord/the university
    • Strangers seen wandering on campus should be reported to security or reception.

    Personal safety 

    • Stick together – go out and come home in groups of two or more
    • Stay to well-lit and more populated areas – avoid back alleys and little side street
    • Watch your drinks – don’t leave your drinks unguarded; take them with you or ask a trusted friend to watch them
    • Avoid binge drinking – drinking to excess leaves you less able to spot trouble and look after yourself
    • Look after your friends – if a friend has over-indulged; make sure they get home safely
    • Don’t invite strangers or people you have just met back to your halls – you don’t know them well enough to trust them.

    Policing and security on campus 

    We do not have a permanent police presence on any of our campuses. In an emergency call 999 (if you need to do this, please let reception know immediately). You can also speak with reception or night security staff who may call the police or contact the residential life team. All our campuses have community police officers - details can be found at: 

    • Ambleside campus - and type postcode into ‘Your Neighbourhood’
    • Carlisle campuses - and type postcode into ‘Your Neighbourhood’
    • Lancaster campus - and type the postcode into ‘My Neighbourhood’
  • Take a look around our Student Life section

    Our Student Life section has all the information and links you'll need to get to grips with university life and introduce you to the many services we provide.

  • Tuition fees

    Tuition fees can be paid by either taking out a tuition fee loan through Student Finance England or if self-paying, payment must be made either in full prior to, at, or following registration, or in three instalments. For more information, check out our Student Finance pages.

    If you have any more queries about paying your fees, please contact our finance team at

  • Accommodation fees

    Accommodation fees can be paid in full prior to, at, or following registration or in three instalments. 

    For payment and payment queries, please contact our finance team on 01524 590826 or email 

  • Student loans

    Available loans will be transferred into your bank account following registration. Please ensure that you have advised your funding body, e.g. the Student Finance England, of your correct bank details and returned your signed declaration. 

    Please note that students with outstanding conditions relating to their admission will only be able to register provisionally and will not be able to receive their student loan until all conditions have been met.

    These conditions may include verification of qualifications, medical clearance and Disclosure & Barring Service clearance. If you are contacted by our admissions office, it is in your own interest to provide requested information as soon as possible.

    See our Student Finance pages for more information.

 Previous What to bring -||- Next Head Start 

Return to the New Students page

Edit page