The CLA HE licence grants permission for staff to re-use limited extracts of University owned or subscription copyright material for the use by students on a specific Unit of Study, by making the following.
- Multiple photocopies sourced from printed books, journals and magazines.
- Printouts from Digital Material (such as ebooks, ejournals, and material from websites).
Digital Copies (for access within a secure application, for example Blackboard)
- Made by scanning from printed books, journals and magazines, and which may be stored, viewed and downloaded.
- Sourced from Digital Material (such as e-books, e-journals, and material from websites), and which may be stored, viewed and downloaded.
Scans can only be created by the Library Scanning Service and the use of born-digital material must be recorded by the Scanning Service email@example.com).
The limits apply to the Unit of Study (the Module) and not the requestor.
- Up to 10% or one chapter from a book, OR
- One article of a journal issue, OR
- One paper from a set of conference proceedings, OR
- One report of a single case from a report of judicial proceedings, OR
- One poem, one short story or one play in an anthology so long as not more than ten pages long.
Item being copied must not be included in the list of excluded works. Use the CLA Check Permissions Tool to check if the source material is excluded. Printed music (including the words); maps and sea/weather charts are excluded.
If you have any questions or require additional help with any aspect of our Copyright Licenses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.