For general mental wellbeing guidance and support you may find TogetherAll a useful online resource.
Previously Big White Wall - an anonymous and stigma-free environment. You follow your own path towards better mental wellbeing.
- Peer support through our online community
- Resources for self-management of a range of wellbeing concerns that you may have
- Information and advice
- Guided support programmes on a range of common issues
- Monitored 24/7 by trained clinicians
People come to Togetherall for help with a wide range of mental health and wellbeing issues – from anxiety, depression, stress and trauma, to relationship problems and lifestyle challenges.
There are lots of other places you can find self help guidance and support, please see the areas below for useful webpages, books and resources.
Stress, anxiety, worry, panic and obsessive thoughts
- Book in the UoC library Overcoming anxiety : a self-help guide using cognitive behavioral techniques / Helen Kennerley, 2014
- Book in the UoC library The anxiety & phobia workbook / Edmund J. Bourne, 2005
- Book in the UoC library Overcoming social anxiety and shyness : a self-help guide / Gillian Butler, 1999
- Centre for Clinical Interventions self-help https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself/Anxiety
- Centre for Clinical Interventions self-help https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself/Worry-and-Rumination
- Centre for Clinical Interventions self-help https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself/Social-Anxiety
Low mood, sadness, low self-esteem, depression
- Book in the UoC library Feeling good : the new mood therapy / David D. Burns, 2000
- Book in the UoC library Manage your mind : the mental fitness guide / Gillian Butler and Tony Hope, 1995
- Book in the UoC library Self esteem / Gael Lindenfield, 2000
- Book in the UoC library Self-esteem / Matthew McKay and Patrick Fanning, 2000
- Book in the UoC library Overcoming low self-esteem : a self-help guide using cognitive behavioral / Melanie Fennell, 1999
- Book in the UoC library The secrets of self-esteem : make the changes you want in your life / Patricia Cleghorn, 2002
- Book in the UoC library Mind over mood : change how you feel by changing the way you think / Dennis Greenberger, 1995
- Centre for Clinical Interventions self-help https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself/Assertiveness
- Centre for Clinical Interventions self-help https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself/Self-Esteem
Relationships (with partner, friends, housemates, peers, family)
- Relate: www.relate.org.uk
Bereavement and loss
- Book in the UoC library Feel the fear and do it anyway / Susan Jeffers, 1991
- Cruse Cumbria Bereavement Care - Cruse can help if someone has died, by sharing experiences of loss with others who are in the same position. The helpline is available for those who do not feel a group is for them. Tel: 0808 808 1677 - not a 24 hour service but a message can be left on the answer phone and calls will be returned. Web: http://www.cruse.org.uk/
- The NHS have produced this resource for people Bereaved by Suicide and other sudden, traumatic death.
Academic worries and anxiety
- Book in the UoC library The exam skills handbook : achieving peak performance / Sheila Cottrell, 2007
- Centre for Clinical Interventions self-help https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself/Perfectionism
- Centre for Clinical Interventions self-help https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself/Procrastination
Suicidal thoughts and concerns
- Samaritans www.samaritans.org - for anyone going through personal crisis and at risk of suicide. Clients may also drop in to the centres at 119 Botchergate, Carlisle - between 11am and 9pm, or at 71 George Street, Whitehaven - please phone beforehand to check times. Telephone Service, 24 hours a day. Lancaster at 21 Sun Street - check website for times.
- Book in the UoC library Managing intense emotions and overcoming self-destructive habits / Lorraine Bell, 2002
- Centre for Clinical Interventions self-help https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself/Tolerating-Distress
- Self Injury Support: https://www.selfinjurysupport.org.uk/
Abuse (historical, current, sexual, psychological, emotional, physical)
- Book in the UoC library Breaking free : help for survivors of child sexual abuse / Carolyn Ainscough, 2000
Eating problems (eating too much, too little, disordered)
- Book in the UoC library Anorexia nervosa : let me be / Crisp A. H. 1987
- Beating Eating Disorders: www.b-eat.co.uk
Sleep (too much, too little, disturbed)
- Royal College of Psychiatrists: Sleep Well
- Centre for Clinical Interventions self-help https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself/Sleep
- Book in the UoC library Overcoming insomnia and sleep problems : a self-help guide using cognitive behavioral techniques / Colin Espie / 2006
- Book in the UoC library Taking charge of anger: Steps to asserting yourself without losing control/Robert Nay 2021
- Book in the UoC library Anger management for everyone : ten proven strategies to help you control anger and live a happier life / Raymond Chip et al 2019
Sexual harassment, assault or rape
- Victim Supportline National Tel: 08 08 16 89 111
- Web: www.victimsupport.org.uk
Substance misuse, wanting to reduce or stop drinking or using drugs
- Book in the UoC library Let's drink to your health! : a self-help guide to sensible drinking / Nick Heather, 1996
- CADAS (Cumbria Alcohol and Drug Advisory Service) - offers one to one or group counselling for anyone with a drug, alcohol or gambling problem. Tel: 01228 544140 open 9.00am to 5.00pm – counselling by appointment.