Loans and Renewals
Please remember your Cumbria Card if you need to borrow any items. You can find out lots of information about your loans by logging onto ‘My Account’.
Your borrower number
Your library borrower number is the number under the barcode on your Cumbria Card. This may be the same as your student number.
How many items can I borrow?
Books, AV material and Teaching practice resources can all be borrowed as part of the borrowing entitlement. Journals are reference only and cannot be borrowed. At any one time you can have on loan the following number of items:
|Lending Collection||Teaching Practice||Laptops||AV equipment|
|Staff and research students||20||30||1||5|
|External borrowers, including reciprocal or access schemes||4||4||0||0|
How long can I borrow items for?
You can check the date your loans are due for return using My Account.
Teaching Practice collection
|AV equipment||1 day
|Set manually as instructed by British Library|
Books, teaching practice items and AV items will be renewed automatically unless they have been requested by another borrower.
It is important to check the due dates. Any items which have been requested by another borrower will not renew automatically. If they are not returned by the due date you will be fined. Before each vacation period, please make sure you have cleared all fines and charges from your library account. This will prevent your account being blocked.
- an item will not be renewed if someone else has requested it
- fines will be charged if an item has been requested by another borrower and is not returned by the due date
- if you are away from the university and one of your books has been requested by another borrower you can send it back to us in the post to Harold Bridges Library, University of Cumbria, Bowerham Road, Lancaster, LA1 3JD.
- If you post an item back, please either get a certificate of posting from your post office (free of charge) or return it using a 'signed for' service.
Find out more about automatic renewals, checking your account and other frequently asked questions on our FAQ page.
Checking your loans
You can check what items you have on loan and when items are due back at any time from My Account on the library website or the library catalogue.
All items borrowed from the library can be recalled if they are requested by another reader, and should be returned as soon as possible. If they are not returned by their due date you will be fined £1 per item per day.
Overdue reminders on requested items
- we will send you reminders of the items that you have out and the dates they are due to be returned. Please note the Library is not responsible if you fail to receive them, for example you fail to check your university emails or if your inbox is full. You will still be liable for any fines incurred.
- if a recalled item is not returned by the due date it will incur fines of £1 per day.
- if a recalled item has not been returned 14 days after the due date you will be charged for the replacement of the item. There is a £5 administration charge for this
Why do you charge fines?
We only charge fines on overdue recalled items. This is to keep library stock circulating fairly and make items available to other users. How much are fines?
How can I avoid paying fines?
Keep track of when items are due back using My Account
If you receive an email to let you know that one of your items has been recalled (requested by another user) please return it to the library as soon as you can, and before the due date.