my-cumbria-logo, my-cumbria-logo Toggle navigation

COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Updated January return to campus and pre-book your on-campus COVID test

Here at the University of Cumbria we want to provide a supportive environment where all students can thrive and develop themselves both academically and socially.

We understand that choosing to come to university can be a big decision for any prospective students, and for those who have caring responsibilities, this can make the decision even harder.

The University of Cumbria offers dedicated support to adult carers, including:

  • A dedicated member of staff who can help you pre-entry with your application and your personal statement and who can guide you through the various support services available to you.
  • Once at university, a dedicated member of the student support team who can signpost you to advice and guidance available and who is generally someone to talk to should you need it.

 Who is an Adult Carer?

An Adult Carer is someone who provides care, assistance or support to another family member on an unpaid basis, unsupported. This may include caring for a relative who is disabled, has some chronic illness, mental health problem or other condition (including substance misuse) and who ordinarily would not be able to cope without support or supervision.

 What support can I get from the University of Cumbria?

  • An opportunity to discuss your course application and personal statement
  • Help and advice with applying for student funding
  • Information about discretionary financial support you may be able to access once on course
  • Meeting you at University events such as interview and applicant days. To arrange an initial chat, please get in touch
  • Head Start to University, a short online course designed to develop or refresh your academic skills and to be better prepared for HE study. The course covers the topics of transition to university, learning at university, academic writing, referencing and accessing academic sources.
  • Support with managing academic issues such as seeking extenuating circumstances when your caring responsibilities may hinder your ability to meet an assessment deadline
  • Liaison with your academic department should this be required
  • Information about accessing other university support services such as careers guidance, disability/SpLD support, counselling services, etc... 

Your contacts

Our designated adult carers’ contacts can assist you with finding out more about the support, help and advice you can receive.

If you are thinking of coming to study here at the University of Cumbria (pre-entry), please contact:

If you are a current student (post-entry) and would like to discuss your situation further, please contact:

  • Email: 

Useful external contacts at each campus are as follows:



Edit page